Sunday, June 17, 2012

Less

Sometimes I feel as though those who are overweight are treated as second-class citizens. That those who are overweight and obese are not worthy of the same respect that we owe to everyone else. Don't get me wrong: I am not saying that being obese is okay from the health standpoint. I think that some people confuse acceptance with one's appearance as accepting everything that goes along with it. I've done that myself as well. I think to myself, "If I say that I am acceptable in appearance, does that mean that I am okay with the fact also that I have high blood pressure and diabetes and may have even more serious consequences down the road?" It's hard to accept who you are while at the same time trying to change that person. It's the hardest thing that I think I've ever done. And I'm not even there yet. The moments of disgust still outnumber the times when I am okay with myself. Society as a whole seems very negative toward those who do not fit some kind of ideal that really doesn't exist. When we compare ourselves to a model in a fashion magazine, we aren't really comparing ourselves with reality. The photos in magazines are the product of a photographer who has spent years of training to capture the best picture possible and sophisticated lighting that is adjusted until the light is hitting the subject in just the right way. After the best photo is selected from hundreds of shots, it is edited by computer software to smooth out any imperfections (there have even been times when ears, arms, and other body parts have been completely "photoshopped" out entirely). I have never met anyone who isn't aware of this, yet society by and large accepts this skewed view of reality as the ideal (when the ideal simply doesn't even exist in the first place). I think that this unrealistic ideal is what leads people to seek out quick fixes for their weight problems. It leads to unnecessary stress on the mind and body. It leads people who have the discipline or the "good genes" to be thin to be harshly and unfairly critical of those they deem "disgusting" and "lazy." It leads some men to say in one breath, "I can't stand it when you're on a date with a girl and all she gets is a freakin' salad," and in the next breath say, "I hate fat chicks."

No comments:

Post a Comment